Okay, I need your help.Not quite a year ago, Tim and I received a piano from my generous aunt and uncle. (Thank you, Henretta's!) He thinks it takes up too much space in our house but I view it as something I want to learn how to play.
A few days ago, while Tim was still at work, I grabbed the beginner book and sat down on the bench. Feeling excited and a little silly about myself, I thought, "how hard can it be?"
Well, after making the dog whine because of the terrible sound I was producing (I think it needs tuning) and becoming frustrated that I couldn't make it past the 3rd lesson, I decided maybe I need real instructions.
So, I've got some questions:
1.) How much are piano lessons?
2.) Is it too late for me to learn how to play? (Be honest!)
3.) How often are lessons? Weekly? Bimonthly?
Please chime in if you have any experience. I will appreciate any and all advice.
Also, does anyone know of a good piano teacher?
Thanks!

4 comments:
I definitely do not think it is too late to learn! Maybe you could get a Covenant student to teach you? A music major? And I definitely think you need to have a lesson every week, as well as practice every day.....I had nine years of piano lessons growing up....you HAVE to practice. I think this is great! Keep us posted on the progress!
I teach piano and currently have an adult student. I charge $15/half hour lesson, or about $60/month. Too bad you don't live closer! It is never too late to learn. My adult student is doing wonderfully! Email me if you want more details - I can recommend books etc.
thanks, laura and molly! your advice helps.
Price all depends on your area. In D/FW I've seen everything from $12-35 for a half hour lesson. It's definitely not too late to learn, HOWEVER...adults are notoriously bad practicers. (My spell checker tells me that is not a word. Oh, well.) I currently have three adult students and one who just quit. Another one is about to quit and one of the remaining two pays me for her lessons but usually doesn't actually have a lesson because she hasn't practiced at all.
All that to say, if you are going to take lessons, you should get someone to call you and tell you to practice. Like your mom. Mom's are good at that. I don't know. I'm not sure why adults are so undisciplined!
By the way, my two adult students that are the worst practicers have little kids. So now is the time for you!
I definitely think you should get a Covenant student to teach you. Ask Dr. Brown who is taking pedagogy. You could possible get in as part of the class and not have to pay! We all taught children for my class, but you never know!
Make sure you blog about your progress...oh, definitely get your piano tuned. And you'll probably have to pay a lot and get it tuned again soon. Pianos that are neglected take a lot to get them back on track. Once it's back you shouldn't need it more than once every 8-12 months. You can always ask more. As you can tell, I'm kind of into this stuff.
Post a Comment