Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Hydrangea Needs Your Help


I must confess I have a black thumb. I love flowers. Appreciate their beauty. Enjoy planting them. Even designed flowerbeds and dreamed of becoming a landscaping designer when I was a child. But my problem is taking care of them. This is where I need your help, especially if your thumb is greener than mine.

Now, we've all heard the expression, "a late bloomer;" well, I have a hydrangea plant in our front yard that is a "no bloomer." Here it is October and the plant has not produced a single flower all summer long.

I’m baffled because the plant appears healthy with plenty of leaves, even grew larger this year than last. So why no flowers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may be telling you something you already know, but here is my best shot at helping you:

Hydrangeas develop flower buds on new growth, so the healthier the growth the better the chances. Only prune dead branches away from the plant if you can, or at least don't prune too late in the summer/early fall.

Another possibility for no flowers in the summer is that buds formed in the spring but were damaged by frost. You can watch frost alerts in the spring and cover your hydrangea to give it the best chance to not have all of its buds killed.