Thursday, October 2, 2008

Highlights from Estes Park, Part 4

The National Park is full of different size hikes, some are short and others go for many miles. Since my nephews were with us on most hikes, we stuck with shorter adventures. One morning we were all up for a short hike so we picked Copeland Falls.


This sign was just beyond the trail head. What a scary sign and frightening picture - it almost appears as though the boy is jumping into a lake of alligators. I wonder if anyone ever turned around and went home after seeing the sign... (Do you think they added the word "AHEAD" after the sign was posted?)


Tim and I ventured off the path before reaching the falls and found a scenic view from on top a boulder. It's amazing what you can see when you get above the trees.

I tried to take a picture of the two of us enjoying the view of the mountains but kept cutting off the top of Tim's head. Don't ask me how many pictures I took - it was a bunch.


Little did we know that Copeland Falls is actually made of two different falls, a lower and upper part. The lower falls are not as high and grand as the upper falls but still beautiful nonetheless.

Lower Falls

Lower Falls

Upper Falls

Upper Falls


We were successful in getting one good family photo during the trip, which was taken at the upper falls.


Later that day, we were returning home from errands or dinner, I can't remember which, and saw a herd of elk along the road, a few of them were in some one's front yard.