Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Covenant College Update, Part 2

I promised specific updates regarding Covenant’s ever-changing campus. So here we go. . .

On Friday, I received a guided tour of the new academic building, which is yet to be named but will be later this summer. The building sits on the edge of the mountain between the overlook and Dora Brown Chapel with far-reaching and breathtaking views. The Chalmers Center, along with offices for the education and sociology departments, will reside in this building. Besides office space for professors, the new construction provides large classrooms and lounge areas with scenic views of both Carter Hall and the valley below.

It has been officially announced that Covenant completed the $31 Million capital campaign. Just to recap. This campaign included an academic building, dormitory, campus green, intramural field, renovations to the library and a handful of other projects.

So what’s next . . . CARTER HALL! Does that sound familiar? Well, it should. Carter Hall renovations were included in the original $31 millions but after bringing in experts and sampling the structure, reports revealed that Carter is in much worse condition than expected and the $5 million originally designated to renovate the structure is deeply insufficient.

In the near future, a new campaign or an extension of the old will be announced. Carter Hall will be among the primary focuses of the upcoming campaign. Stay tuned.

I had the privilege to hear firsthand President Nielson pour out his heart in a meeting last week. I left having utmost respect for him, as his humility and heart are genuine and leadership and vision for the college are nothing short of impressive.

These are exciting times for the college!

1 comment:

Heather of Troy said...

Totally gorgeous. Wow. I can't wait to see it in person. I have no idea when that could be. Thanks for the update. That's sad that the Carter renovation can't happen yet. But with costs increasingly rising by the minute I guess it's not surprising. Keep me updated on new campaign news. I just love building! Thanks for the good words about Neil. I respect him so much but I know there are always tough decisions to make and he gets the blame for everything that anyone is dissatisfied with.

Next time you see the Marsh man tell him I said hello. Gosh I miss him!