Friday, April 25, 2008

Teen Challenge


I have the privilege of working with nonprofits for a living and the opportunity to hear of God's work through the ministries that we fund. I am thankful for my job and specifically, I am also thankful for a nonprofit here in town called Teen Challenge (TC). Last night Tim and I attended their annual banquet. We go to many banquets but TC's is the one that he and I look forward to the most each year.

If you are unfamiliar with TC then let me give you a brief description of what they do and how God is working through our local TC. The name may give the wrong impression; Teen Challenge is no longer a ministry directly for teens but rather young adults and middle aged men and women. It is a 15-month alcohol, drug and other addition rehab center with an intense discipleship program. The TC in our area has a 3-month waiting list and recently launched a capital campaign to go from 30 beds to nearly 100 beds.

What amazes me is that TC has an 86% long-term success rate. Okay, let me say that again... 86%!!! That is unheard of among rehab centers. And nearly 30% of their graduates go on to full time ministry. Amazing!

One of the reasons that Tim and I look forward to TC's banquet is to hear the testimony of current students and past graduates. Nearly all those who graduate the program become Christians during their time at TC and what a dramatic testimony many of them have. It's like the apostle Paul's conversion, not that Christ appears in a bright light, but these students go from living in the deep darkness of sin through drugs, alcohol and prostitution to become a new creation in Christ and walk in the newness of life found only in Jesus.

One girl's testimony last night highlighted God's sense of humor and the mysterious ways He brings people to TC. This particular girl was heavy into drugs and other additive behaviors. One day she went to buy drugs from her dealer and instead of drugs, her dealer handed her a TC application and told her she needed to get help. Yes, her drug dealer!!! :)

If you want to learn more and watch a few students share their testimonies then I'd encourage you to watch this video.

No comments: