Saturday, April 26, 2008

And then the dog barked...

This morning I baby-sat for a friend's 14th month old son. Avery did very well for me until naptime. I put him down and didn't hear a peep but minutes later their dog heard something outside and barked. This woke Avery and he began to cry.

I gave him a few minutes thinking his crying would stop and he would fall back to sleep. Ha! Was I wrong. His wailing didn't cease so I went back to his crib and picked him up. Assuring him that everything was fine, I softly told him he needed to go back to sleep and laid him back down. But, Avery thought it would be more fun to kick and scream than sleep nicely for the babysitter.

So I sang to him but that didn't work.

So I turned on his musical mobile but that didn't work.

So I gave him his pacifier but that didn't work.

So I gave him his bottle but that didn't work.

So I picked him up and rocked him but that didn't work.

Finally after running out of tricks, I realized that Avery was going to fight his tiredness no matter what I did so I stroked his back and watched him struggle to keep his eyes open.

I had to laugh at my inexperience and myself. Here I thought the above things would get Avery to fall asleep. But what was I thinking?! If someone did those things to me when I was tired, it would irritate me, not help me fall asleep. :)

So, parents, grandparents, professional nannies, successful babysitters and nursery workers out there, do you have any tricks of the trade or secrets of how to get little ones to go to sleep when they don't want to???

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hehehe, he's such a booger! I swear he likes to put on a show whenever someone else watches him. :) You did everything correct, sometimes the kiddos are just hard headed. We have nights where its all we can do to get him to go to bed & there's no reason for it. Thanks again for watching him & those pics are too too cute, can you send them to me? :)

Desiderio Domini said...

one Dad told me they let their kids scream for thirty minutes before going in. (making sure of course that the kid isn't hungry, thirsty, or in need of the potty) I've adopted that philosophy and it's worked well since. while they scream they perform their own pulmonary function test so at least you know their lungs are working properly.