Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What's in a name? It's more than just letters.

I don't know if this is true for you or not but the names I liked as a child aren't so desirable anymore. I'm not sure why but now that we have the opportunity to name our children, I have a different opinion about what I like and why. For example, as a young girl, I thought it would be great to have twin boys and name them Logan and Caleb. Well, neither one of those names made our short list.

Tim and I both agree on several criteria for naming the twins. In no particular order:

1. When you see the name, you know how to say it.
2. When you hear the name, you know how to spell it.
3. Meaning of the name may or may not be important.
4. No rhyming names.
5. Biblical names are optional but not necessary.
6. The first syllable of their names must be different.
7. No gender neutral names.
8. No names of previous significant others.

So, Baby Boy Rowe, Baby A, is going to be Hudson James. Baby Girl Rowe, Baby B, is going to be Mary Virginia.


Hudson, meaning son of Hud/Hudde, is the name of the town I grew up in as a child and absolutely loved. James, meaning one who supplants, is a family name on my side as well as Tim's favorite book of the Bible.




Mary, meaning sea of bitterness, is the middle name of my paternal grandmother who also had twins. Virginia, meaning maid or virgin, is the first name of Tim's maternal grandmother. We'll call her "Ginnie" for short.



As you can see, we ended up with 3 out of the 4 being family names, which wasn't one of the criteria but became a strong deciding factor.