Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mixing Ancient and Modern Medicine

I did something yesterday for the very first time. I saw an acupuncturist. Given my current medical situation, I’m open to try anything and the specialist I’m seeing recommended I give acupuncture a chance as research has shown it helps treat my current condition.

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience so much so that I’m looking forward to my next appointment.

For those of you, who have never done acupuncture, let me briefly describe what it is like. First off, the one thing I worried about most was the needles. Of course, who wouldn’t? We all hate shots. Truthfully, I felt a prick as the doctor pushed them into my skin but nothing like getting a shot or drawing blood. Seconds later I couldn’t feel them.

After the needles were strategically placed, the doctor left and I relaxed in a dark room for 20 minutes. He said I may even fall asleep but didn’t on this occasion. (I had too much sweet tea in my system.) From time to time, I could sense something going on in my body or around my body but felt no pain. It was weird and hard to describe.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’m a fully committed believer; however, I will attest there was something there.

7 comments:

Briana said...

i have never been so happy.

Jeremy Lucarelli said...

We've been waiting for an update!

A friend of ours, today actually, was telling us about going to the doctor. The doctor wanted to refer them to a physical therapist; they didn't have the money. So, the doctor referred them to an alternative medicine practitioner. With a few supplements of vitamin B and high zinc foods the problems have vanished. Crazy cool.

Mama Cobb said...

welcome back! ;) i'm thinking about giving that a try too- glad you had a positive experience!

The Andersons said...

good to hear from you!!!

The Andersons said...

brandi.l.anderson@gmail.com

talk to you soon!

Briana said...

see how much everyone missed you?! now just don't go another 3 months until the next post!

Night Nurse said...

Just out of curiousity and being nosy, was the accupuncture for nerve pain or something else? I've always wondered how it worked.