Tuesday, December 2, 2008

7 Points to Score a Turkey

Bi-Lo, our local grocery store, ran a Thanksgiving special for its bonus card members to get a free frozen turkey or 10% off a fresh turkey. It sounded simple. Spend $35 or more and receive 1 point. Accumulate 7 points and get the special. We wanted a fresh turkey so instead of saving a buck or two, I decided to get the free frozen turkey and donate it to charity.

My problem… the day before the special ended, I only had 4 points. My solution… park my loaded cart (or “buggy” as they call them down here) full of food for our Thanksgiving feast in front of the self-checkout counter and ring up a little over $35 worth of groceries then pay the bill. Repeat the process a couple times and I’ll have enough points to get my free turkey. (Don’t worry; I made sure there wasn’t anyone in line behind me.)

My plan was running smoothly until I heard the young lady monitoring the self-checkout line get on the phone.

Yes, she called her manager.

Yes, my ears perked up and I got a little nervous.

Yes, I heard the whole conversation.

And yes, the manager said there was nothing they could do about it and I left happy and excited about my free frozen turkey.

Oh, the things we do for charity...