Friday, October 10, 2008

Giving Back to the School I Love

On Wednesday evening, Tim and I attended an intimate dinner at Covenant College in which I was informed of my winning the Alumnus Volunteer of the Year award and would be recognized at the alumni chapel on this morning.

What a surprise!

***

A little background info…

Over two years ago, Tim and I returned to the area and shortly thereafter I found myself in need of a new job. One of the places I looked was Covenant’s website as I had a desire to give back and serve the school. There was an appealing job posted on the site so I immediately submitted a cover letter and resume. A little while later, I received a phone call requesting an interview. I interviewed and was told I was overqualified for the position but would I interview for a position that had just become available.

A week or two later, I went back to the college for a second interview and was again given the news that I was not a good fit but another department wanted to interview me. Once more I returned for an interview and later found out they had gone with someone else. A short time past and I received another phone call requesting an interview for a different position and was rejected for the fourth and final time.

A few months went by and I eventually found the job at the foundation where I have been for the last two years. Looking back I see how God used Covenant to make me a stronger woman who can handle rejection and not take it personally, and He used Covenant to give me plenty of interview experience, which came in handy when I was interviewed at the foundation four times.

Furthermore, I’m able to give back and serve Covenant in ways not possible had I been given a job at the school. For this I am thankful to the Lord for giving Covenant the wisdom to pass me by and granting me the faith to trust Him knowing He had other plans for my life.

***

Since the plaque for this award hangs in the alumni office, I was also given this scarf as a small token of their appreciation.

3 comments:

Laura said...

You look so cute! Congratulations!

Joy said...

aw, congrats! you look so pretty!

Heather of Troy said...

I'm so excited about that scarf! Do you realize the years that were put into making a Covenant Tartan fabric available? Amazing! You have no idea. They had already been working on the idea for years when I worked with the alumni office in 2006. So happy to see you sporting that scarf! and way to go on the award!