Sunday, May 11, 2008

God Bless America


God Bless America . . . if you stop to think about how much we have then you can't help but conclude that God has blessed America. We, as Americans, represent nearly 5% of the world's population but consume nearly 40% of its resources.

The average American owns at least one car in comparison to 92% of the world that doesn't own a car. In our case, Tim and I own two cars putting us in the top 98% of the world, like many of you reading this. We have a home, clean drinking water, electricity and food. 800,000,000 people, 300,000,000 of which are children, will not have food to eat today or tomorrow or the next. I turn on the faucets in my house and have fresh running water and have so much food I need a pantry.

It's hard to know what to do or how to respond to a world in need of basic necessities. My generation has not been taught by our parents or shown by example of how to take care of the needy or reach the poor. Globalization has exposed things our parents never knew. We cannot make that our excuse. So, how do we respond?

It would take $20 Billion to provide every person around the world with clean water and basic health and nutrition. This is what America spends annually on ice cream. So, do we stop eating ice cream?


"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in..." -Jesus


(statistics taken from Rob Bell's "Rich")

No comments: