Thursday, April 10, 2008

"That Will Be Forty Dollars"

Duchess costs us again – here's the story.

Recently we noticed a bump on Duch's butt that started out rather small. At first we thought it might be an insect bite and would probably disappear in a few days. After a week or two, the bump didn’t fade; rather, it continued to grow. Thinking it could potentially be a cyst/lump/tumor, I made an appointment to see the vet and got in on Wednesday.

Duchess is in love with our vet so when I put her in the car and told her where we were going, she got all excited. I don’t why Duch loves him so much . . . he’s performed major surgery on her and poked and prodded her nearly every time we’ve gone. But for some odd reason, she’s in puppy love and happy to see him on every occasion.

Her love for veterinarians started at a young age and involves my parents, a moth ball, hydrogen peroxide and one very expensive ER bill but that’s another story.

Back to this vet visit, so we get there and are quickly taken into the examining room. Again, I’m thinking, “cyst/lump/tumor, I hope she doesn’t have cancer.” The vet takes one look at her bump and says, “oh, that’s a pimple.”

Duchess doesn’t have cancer; she has acne! Come to find out that dogs as they go through adolescence can get pimples just like people.

After the vet poked her pimple with a needle and cleaned it out, I left the examining room and went to pay the bill at the receptionist station. “That will be forty dollars,” she said. Talk about one very expensive pimple!!! Do they make Clearasil for dogs?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

WOW, that was hysterical!! That's one I haven't heard of, a $40 pimple.