Monday, January 19, 2009

And the Wall Came Down

Oh, the things we do late at night in our pajamas. I'm sure the neighbors wonder what goes on over at our house and why the lights are on so late. Well, over a week ago we decided the time had come to tear down the wall between our kitchen and dining room.

And yes, demolition work is very fun!!!

Here is a picture of the peninsula in our kitchen before Tim ripped it up off the floor.


After removing the peninsula, we discovered a floor vent. Now my kitchen is much warmer. Hmmm... funny how that works. I have no idea why in the world you would cover a vent and fill it with trash when you could move it a few inches.


Tim added wheels to our peninsula (now island) so that we can move it around. Pretty smart idea and very handy!


Now all of the wood paneling is down and the demo is about to begin in the dining room.


And this is how we do it. . . Mr. Hammer meet Mrs. Crowbar!!!
(Ear plugs are a must!)


Her side:


His side:
(Yes, Tim is a little faster than me.)


Here is the view of the kitchen from the dining room.


And here is the kitchen again from the back door by the eating area.


It is interesting because our kitchen actually feels much smaller, but the layout is more convenient and the island (former peninsula) usable. Our breakfast eating area feels huge, as does the dining room.

Our next project will be to remove all of the kitchen cabinets and appliances and install a new kitchen floor. I can't wait!!!

8 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my gosh! I feel stressed just looking at those pictures! I am so impressed that you are helping. I cannot wait to see the "after" pictures :)

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

The vent -- what in the world?!

Anonymous said...

Hey so good to see you guys doing well!!! Come check out our sight would love for you all to link over to it. Lets catch up sometime. Nice house!!!

Briana said...

wow, that does look so different. of course we could probably appreciate it it more in person...hint hint hint. ;)

Joy said...

wow, that looks great, i love it all opened up!can't wait to see it in person!

Brie said...

Good choice in taking the wall down. It opens it up much more!

Heidi said...

WOW! I didn't realize you guys were getting ready to start that. And, vent in the peninsula, that's classic. You guys are doing great, can't wait to see it in person!

The Andersons said...

how exciting!! how great that tim is handy!!