Becoming Jane is not a common type of movie for me, and I did not dare put Tim through the pain of watching it. I also have to admit to have never read any of Jane Austen’s works. So, you might be wondering then why did I rent this movie. Well, let me say this. I was attracted to it for the fact it was about her life or as I later learned, an imagination of what her love story with Tom Lefroy might have been like. In the end, this fictional tale of Jane Austen left a bittersweet taste in my mouth. Parts were pleasant, enjoyable and the romance entirely believable; however, the ending was a flop. Like in life, not everyone lives happily ever after. I'm okay with that. The part of the ending that bothered me was lack of believability in Austen and Lefroy’s appearance as middle-aged men and women. Additionally, Lefroy and the actress who played his daughter were too close in age.

3 comments:
I agree with your assessment of the movie. However, I am sitting her with my mouth ajar at the idea that you've not read Austen! Sounds like a project to me!!
Merry Christmas, Bethany!
I loved this movie, and completely agree with the age issues. I saw "Becoming Jane" right after I finished reading "Emma." It was perfect timeing I think! Last year's Masterpiece Classic was all Austen (admittedly, not all my favorite versions), you may want to look in to one or two. I think the movie means a lot more after you read some Austen (or see the movies).
~Nikki
PS. I'm sorry I'm so late. Catching up on some reading this week!
Post a Comment